Consulate HistoryThe Consulate Apartments have an interesting place in local history. The original building was constructed in 1904 as a traditional New Zealand colonial two-storied wooden villa. The Monopoli family bought the house in the 1940’s and owned it for 50 years, during which time they enlarged and plastered it in the “Italian” style. Because Nelson was home to a large and thriving Italian community, the Italian Government decided to appoint Guilliamo (Bill) Monopoli to the position of Italian Consul. Bill carried out his official duties from the Trafalgar Square property for over 30 years, and it was during this period the building became known as the "Italian Consulate".
Then in 1993 the vintage home of three flats underwent a substantial re-modelling. The process of redevelopment has been gentle, taking over 10 years of planning and designing to create the exclusive Consulate Apartments. Now the building comprises three beautifully modern and elegant self-contained suites that reflect the building’s European history and New Zealand location. We warmly invite you to stay at the Consulate, to relax and enjoy this fabulous accommodation and its lovely surrounds.